- State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, J.D., 2010
- University of Virginia, Darden School of Business, Navy Business Management Program, 2006
- University at Maryland’s University College, Graduate Certificate, Procurement and Contract Management 2005
- Dickinson College, B.A., cum laude, 2004
Admitted to Practice
- New York State
- District Court, Western District of New York
- New York State Association of School Attorneys
- Erie County Bar Association
- New York State Management Advocates for School Labor Affairs
- New York State Association of School Personnel Administrators
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” 2015-2017
Melanie concentrates her practice in Education and Labor and Employment law working primarily with public school districts in various areas including special education, student discipline, labor relations, personnel, and board of education matters. She has represented districts in employee discipline proceedings (Section 3020-a, Section 75, arbitrations), collective bargaining negotiations, and appeals before the Commissioner of Education. Melanie has also provided counsel for Committees on Special Education (CSEs) and represented districts in special education litigation including impartial hearings and appeals to the Office of State Review. She has also advised boards of education of their duties and powers, the development of district policies.
Melanie also represents other municipal entities and private companies in employment law, labor relations, collective bargaining negotiations, as well as representation in actions and proceedings before administrative agencies and courts. Previous she was a Senior Associate at Hodgson Russ in the firm’s Education and Labor and Employment Practice. Most recently Melanie worked in-house for Cattaraugus-Allegany BOCES as an attorney and senior labor relations specialist.